The name of the society is Dunedin Tamil Society Incorporated (“The Society”). The Society is constituted by resolution dated 12 November 2017.
The Registered Office of the Society is 6 Bounty Lane, Belleknowes.
Purposes of Society
The purposes of The Society are to preserve and promote the rich heritage of the Tamil-speaking population, whose cultural background are built on the three pillars of Tamil Language: Literature (Iyal), Music (Isai) and Drama (Nadagam), in the wider Dunedin region.
The Society would also foster understanding, friendship, goodwill and appreciation between Tamil-speaking people and various cross-sections of the people of Dunedin Region. Tamil is one of the oldest languages in the world, with literature dating back 100BC, spoken by more than: 60 million people in Tamil Nadu, a state located in the southern region of India; 3 million people in Sri Lanka, 2 million people in Malaysia, 500,000 people in Singapore, 300,000 people in United Kingdom, 250,000 people in Canada and 200,000 people in the United States of America.
Objectives To promote Tamil language and culture.
To remain strictly non-political and non-partisan in the promotion of Tamil language and Tamil culture. To provide social support and networking opportunities for new migrants and New Zealanders who are Tamil-speaking people or identify themselves as people of Tamil culture. To encourage people who are interested in learning, promoting, and celebrating the Tamil language and Tamil Culture, irrespective of their language and/or cultural identity.
Pecuniary gain is not a purpose of the Society General activities to achieve the above objectives
- Do anything necessary or helpful to the above purposes.
- Cultural functions and activities
- Information evenings, social and sporting activities
- Debates and discussions (internal and inter-communal)
- Community Service
- Interacting with other cultural groups.
- Contributing to other mainstream multi-ethnic activities that promote Tamil
- Hosting local and international guest artists and other professionals
- Application for funds and other support that is available to any Community group in New Zealand
- Sharing the resource that the group has with other communities
- Making formal submissions as required to legislation and policies that impact on the growth of the Tamil language and wellbeing Of Our members